Guest Blogger: Carolyn Nall
As a self-proclaimed beauty junkie, I’ve lived and learned by experimenting with a lot of different products. Some were great, some were not so great. I confess, I’ve made my beauty mistakes, but I’ve also found my beauty “wins.”
So here’s five confessions from a beauty junkie to help guide you in your quest to find the perfect beauty and skincare routine for yourself.
CONFESSION #1: BEAUTY PRODUCTS EVERY WOMAN NEEDS
1) LORAC Pro 2 Eyeshadow Palette
This is a great staple eyeshadow palette that has the colors you need for just about any look. Plenty of nice neutrals for a natural look, darker hues perfect for a smoky eye and some brighter shades when you’re looking for a pop of color.
The shadows are richly pigmented so the colors are intense and a little goes a long way. It comes with a free tube of shadow primer, which is an essential if, like me, you have oily eyelids. I also love these makeup tips for upcoming holiday parties.
2) The NuFACE Trinity with ELE and Wrinkle Reducer attachments
Out of all the beauty products, this is the only one that I truly consider an investment that pays for itself over time. The Trinity All-In-One microcurrent treatment improves my skin tone and reduces wrinkles. Although the price tag might be considered on the higher end, these products will last far longer than any skincare serum or cream you can find.
The NuFACE Trinity does double-duty for me. It gives my face a lifted, contoured look that allows me to look amazing without wearing any makeup. If I decide to wear makeup, using NuFACE kicks my contouring application up to Kardashian-status.
It also serves as my anti-aging go-to, keeping my facial muscles toned, my brows lifted and reducing wrinkles around my eyes and on my forehead.
3) Makeup Forever Black Liner Pen
Good for day or evening looks, this felt-tipped eyeliner pen makes application simple. The smudge-proof formula stays put for 8+ hours and the shape of the tip creates a nice, clean line without wobbles or smears. For the best wing liner this is my beauty secret.
4) NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
I’ve always struggled with finding lip color that looks good on me, particularly when it comes to bold shades. A hybrid between a lip pencil and a lipstick these jumbo lip pencils give lips a beautiful matte, creamy finish that looks nice in all shades and stays put throughout the day.
CONFESSION #2: BEAUTY PRODUCTS YOU REALLY DON’T NEED
1) Foundation – my favorite professional makeup artist once told me that she never puts a full face of foundation on her clients, even Cindy Crawford! Skin looks its best when its radiance is able to shine through. Unless you’re trying to cover major skin tone variations or scarring, a good BB crème or tinted moisturizer gives a clean, natural look.
2) Lip Liner – I’ve personally never found this to be a necessity and I find it tough to apply without it looking a bit clownish. This is why I like the NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil. It doubles as a lipstick and a lip liner and takes care of lip color perfectly in one simple step.
3) Products for Double-Cleansing – I know the big trend right now (borrowed from Asia) is double-cleansing. This means washing the skin once with a cleanser and then going back and washing with a cleansing balm. Or using a makeup wipe followed by a cleanser and cleansing balm. This skincare routine becomes a bit complicated and tiresome. Washing your face too much can strip it of its natural oils, leading to dryness, wrinkles and even acne (yes, acne CAN be caused by skin that’s too dry too).
I suggest eliminating the cleansing balm and only cleansing once with an exfoliating cleanser. Or, use the NuFACE Prep-N-Glow™ Cleansing Cloths. One side exfoliates, the other side cleanses. No need to buy multiple cleansing products or double-cleanse. This product cleanses, exfoliates and hydrates all at once.
CONFESSION #3: BEAUTY RITUALS I WAS TOTALLY WRONG ABOUT
1) You need to wash your hair every day. Not so!
I used to think this was true, until I ended up with the driest, most brittle hair you can imagine. Try to cut back to washing every three days, or every other day (if you must wash frequently) and follow up with a good hair masque once per week. Use a dry shampoo to keep hair looking fresh between cleansing.
2) Spray tanning. Those two words are enough to make most of us run and hide. I avoided it after having 2 bad run-ins where the product didn’t blend well, causing me to look like a gold and white cheetah. Since then, spray tanning has come a long way.
I gave it another try, this time opting for a professionally applied airbrush tan. The application was flawless and once the color settled, I looked like a beautiful, bronze goddess. I’ve since signed up for an airbrush tan membership and get a spray tan bi-weekly.
CONFESSION #4: YOUR MOM’S ADVICE WAS WRONG!
1) Exfoliation is important. My mom tried to drill this into my head in my teenage years, but I didn’t care to listen. She believed in exfoliating with rough drug-store washcloths that felt awful on my skin. Although I’ve since learned that my mom was right… exfoliating is important, I prefer to use an exfoliating face and body scrub rather than washcloths. I particularly like the Hydropeptide Exfoliating Cleanser (for face) and Hydropeptide Active Body Scrub. These are great skincare products to add to your skincare routine.
CONFESSION #5: EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT
These are just my suggestions for ways to perfect your beauty routine. In my days as a beauty junkie, I’ve read dozens of beauty blogs, watched hundreds of YouTube beauty videos and tried countless beauty products. After all of this, my most important confession would be that everyone is different. What works for me may not work for you. Some products that all the beauty experts raved about were the products that I hated the most. Still other products were fabulous and with that I found amazing beauty tips to add to my everyday routine.
I encourage you to start with my recommendations above, but don’t be afraid to do your own research and experimentation to find the product assortment that’s perfect for you!
ALWAYS BE IN THE KNOW
Get to know what others are saying about our most loved products from real people who love microcurrent technology.
If you want to be the first to know about new posts to the Current Beauty blog, join our friends list to receive an email a couple times per month with a quick link.