When you think of Winter, what do you picture?
If you’re anything like us, Winter brings to mind a festive time with friends and family, snow days and of course, Winter skin troubles!
Don’t let the drop in temperature send you into a downward skin spiral! We’ve got the 411 on all the Winter skincare tips you need to know to keep your complexion glowing during the chilly months!
HOW YOUR SKIN CHANGES IN THE WINTER
First things first — a bit of a science lesson! As Winter temperatures drop, so does the humidity level outside. Once this happens, the water on your skin evaporates more quickly, resulting in tight, dry skin that might be extra sensitive, flaky, and is often made worse with the necessary use of indoor heating.
Here is a helpful infographic that goes into the details of the causes of dry, irritating skin. There are many different reasons why people suffer from dry skin. Those causes can vary from weather conditions, lifestyle or general habits. It is important to figure out which causes affect you in order to take preventative action against dry skin.
This dry air doesn’t just affect your face — it can wreak havoc on your hair and entire body!
So what’s a gal to do?
3 SKINCARE HABITS TO TRY THIS WINTER
1. Invest in a humidifier. Sure, it might not be the most attractive addition to your #shelfie, but a humidifier is a total game-changer when it comes to combating your dry skin this Winter. A humidifier will add moisture back into the air while you sleep, so you wake up to moisturized skin. Think of how glowing and fresh your skin looks on a tropical vacation — need we say more?
2. Upgrade your skincare routine. What products worked for you in the Spring or Summer won’t necessarily have the same results in the Winter so it’s time to switch things up! Dermatologists recommend using thicker, cream-based moisturizers this time of year to offer extra hydration and are well-equipped to to help protect and strengthen skin’s barrier.
3. One of our favorite winter skincare tips is to make masks your BFF!! Adding a hydrating sheet mask to your nightly routine is a great way to give your skin a badly needed boost of extra hydration! Once you peel it off, luminous, soft skin will be revealed.
Bonus tip: Make sure you have some private time/space when using sheet masks to prevent freaking out your friends or family.
Go ahead and slap one on, relax for 20 minutes, here are 3 of our favorites…
This soothing Dr. Jart+ Pore Minimalist Black Charcoal Sheet Mask purifies pores and removes excess sebum without irritation. Superior detoxification and pore-tightening benefits.
An intensive, 100 percent cotton sheet mask treatment that works to correct pigmentation, boost luminosity, and deeply hydrate, revealing a revitalized, brighter, and even toned complexion, the Eve Lom WHITE Brightening Mask is the one for you.
BLISS A’peel’ Radiance Revealing Rubberizing Mask is amazing. Formulated with vitamin C, a blend of antioxidants along with bilberry and seaweed extracts working to leave your skin instantly looking more radiant, moisturized and healthy.
3 SKINCARE HABITS TO AVOID THIS WINTER
1. Avoiding SPF. It might feel like daylight is seriously limited this time of the year, but SPF is more necessary than ever during the Winter! If you’re skiing or snowboarding, snow acts as a reflector for the sun’s dangerous rays and can magnify skin damage instantly. Even if you’re going to be nowhere near snow this Winter, stay protected and choose a moisturizer with an SPF included. Your skin will thank us later.
2. Harsh exfoliating. Many women suffer from sensitive skin during the winter, so this is not the time for rough scrubs or harsh treatments — think gentle vs abrasive when it comes to Winter exfoliation and limit your sloughing sessions to 2x per week, making sure to moisturize immediately afterwards!
3. Taking long, hot showers. We totally get it, it’s freezing outside and your warm shower feels nothing short of a dream… you feel like you could stand under the hot water forever, right? We hate to be the bearer of bad news, but long, hot showers can actually do you more harm than good in the Winter, as they strip the natural oils from your skin, resulting in sensitive skin from head to toe. Keep your Winter showers short and sweet and opt for a cozy blanket instead!
WINTER-FRIENDLY BEAUTY PRODUCTS
Here are 4 skincare products that we are hooked on this Winter!
1. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration. This cult favorite and Allure Magazine Best of Beauty award winner is your best bet to combat dry, flaky skin from head to toe this Winter. It’s clinically proven to increase hydration up to 169% after application, need we say more?
2. Kate Somerville Exfoliate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment. Say “girl, bye” to dry, dull skin! Your glow will be restored after just one use of this gentle, yet highly effective exfoliating treatment.
3. NuFACE Prep-N-Glow Cleansing Texture Cloths. Excessive face washing is a no-no during the Winter, so using Prep-N-Glow cloths is a great way to cleanse and freshen up your face after the gym or before a night out without stripping your skin of it’s precious oils. Loaded with hyaluronic acid and antioxidants, these cloths are a hydrating and safe way to remove dirt and makeup that won’t leave you feeling tight and tingly.
4.Dr. Jart+ Water Replenishment Cotton Sheet Mask. This intensely hydrating sheet mask is perfect for sensitive skin and is another Allure Magazine Best of Beauty Award Winner and is part of our weekly Winter skincare rotation.
Cheers to a hydrated New Year! We still have a few months of Winter ahead of us, and we’d love to know — what are your favorite Winter beauty products and skincare tips?
ALWAYS BE IN THE KNOW
Come back next week to find out which beauty tools should always be in your arsenal!
If you want to be the first to know about new posts to the Current Beauty blog, join our friends list to receive an email a couple times per month with a quick link.